Monday, February 1, 2016

A Post Long Overdue



This is a post long overdue, but somehow I just got occupied with other matters.  I hope, however, to rectify that now.
On a Saturday in late November, Captain Pitchell and I, together with our most junior member - my son - offered a presentation in Green Township, NJ for Cub Scout Pack 184, which happens to be my son's pack.  This was not an official Frontier Guard event, but we had a large, enthusiastic audience of both boys and parents. We introduced boys to the history of western New Jersey during the French and Indian War, and spoke about the Frontier Guard and the forts they maintained along the Delaware River to prevent Lenape incursions that took the lives of settlers in western NJ 1755 - 1761. 



We demonstrated the soldiers' equipment and let scouts sample traditional colonial foods like jerky, ship's biscuit, and, as a treat, Welsh cakes.




Boys then broke into three groups to try their hands at colonial games - instructed by my son, fire starting with flint and steel, and tomahawk throwing. We finished the afternoon with a firing of firelocks and a small swivel cannon.


 


The Scout leaders also got in on the fun, borrowing some of my clothing to dress the part, and aiding in the supervision.  I am thankful to Capt. Pitchell for his help in making the presentation a success.  






No comments:

Post a Comment